The lining of our mouths takes quite a beating in our everyday living patterns. Many foods and liquids we eat are abrasive and cause mild scrapes to the surface; some have chemical insults that may be carcinogenic over time, and frequently, the acid-base and temperature variances can further slough the surface. Often, inadequate cleaning leads to pathologic bacterial growth along the edges of the gum and in between teeth that further insults this vital space. Fortunately, the mucosal lining replaces itself frequently. Still, paradoxically, this rapid turnover may lead to a potential for flawed cellular division and the development of precancerous conditions that can lead to cancer. Lichen planus is a white patch on the mucosa or callous to an area of frequent injury. This condition frequently leads to a premalignant condition (in situ) of the lining of the mouth and sometimes progresses to cancer.
Lifestyle Factors & Cancer Risk
Lifestyle choices further challenge this area, like using oral tobacco products, vaping, smoking, and viral exposures leading to a ripe environment for malignancy. Even mal-fitting dentures or native teeth that rub the tongue or other mucosal services improperly lead to chronic reparative processes that can degenerate into malignant conditions. HPV-positive cancers of the oral pharynx are growing in incidence and striking men and women at a younger age with minimal other risk factors for head and neck cancer. Many therapies for cancer of other sites using chemotherapies and radiation can rapidly desquamate the oral and esophageal mucosa and, if not adequately managed, lead to chronic problems.
Therapeutic Mouthwash Regimens
Fortunately, the oral mucosa allows for direct access, and products taken by mouth are readily absorbed through direct contact. Here are some easy-to-use regimens that would apply for just routine health to specific conditions.
Routine Mucosal Support to Stay Healthy
Consider the daily AM electrolyte bolus (see Hydration Strategy in Toolbox) and add one to two ounces of Aloe Vera Gel to support the upper gastrointestinal tract. See details below for links. To further the insurance to keep the lining safe (beyond limiting the insults listed above), consider making your routine work liquid sitting by your desk or in your car for therapy impact. Consider it a “good defense is always playing a strong offense .”Consider making your 32-ounce Nalgene or favorite non-BPA jug have some of the following:
- 20-30 ounces of filtered tap water (bottled water is expensive, has plastic residue, and fills up landfills).
- 1-2 ounces of Aloe Vera Gel to structure the water and provide glycolipid healing, some anti-infective impact, leaving your mouth moist.
- 1/3 to ½ TSP of Matcha (some caffeine) or Sencha Green (minimal caffeine) Tea Powder adds a great source of Catechins and ECGCs with health benefits, especially with direct contact.
May also add one-half dose of your favorite electrolyte combination to provide some further delivery of NaCl, Mg, and K to activate your electrical systems; a slice of lemon or other fruit or vegetable to structure the water, one to two scoops (5-10 gms) of your favorite unflavored collagen powder prevent muscle wasting but not break a fast or whatever your needs require.
For existing oral premalignant conditions or a history of oral cancer
- Possibly start with the same base as above, filtered tap water, but make this more concentrated with around 12-16 ounces of water.
- 2-4 ounces of Aloe Vera Gel to structure the water and provide glycolipid healing, some anti-infective impact, leaving your mouth moist.
- ½ to 1 TSP of Matcha (some caffeine) or Sencha Green (minimal caffeine) Tea Powder adds a great source of Catechins and ECGCs that both have health benefits, especially with direct contact.
- 2-4 Capsules of Curcumin opened and poured into the mix (500 to 1000mg). Please make sure they are capsules or powders.
Shake, Froth, or mix before using any way you can and try to swish it around. One can use some and then refrigerate, but there is likely some decay of ingredients’ effectiveness after 1-2 days from making.
For Classic viral or bacterial sore throat or mild upper chest cough
- Bring 8-12 ounces of filtered tap water to a boil.
- Add a tablespoon of sage, thyme leaves, or both.
- Add the zest and juice of a whole lemon.
- Add two tablespoons of natural honey.
- Add ½ to one tablespoon of ginger powder (may substitute fresh ground ginger, ginger paste, etc.)
Boil for 3-5 minutes, then turn off, strain, and use warm or cool. The combination will help suppress a cough; the sage and thyme have antiviral and antibacterial impacts, and ginger and honey reduce inflammation and mucus. May refrigerate and use for a few days.
To prevent gingivitis and periodontal inflammation
In addition to proper dental care and professional evaluations, these home remedies are helpful.
- Step it up once or twice a week beyond the routine brushing and flossing.
- Consider making a 2-ounce glass of water and add one ounce of standard home hydrogen peroxide (3% strength in the brown bottle)
- Add one teaspoon of baking soda.
- Rinse and gargle after brushing vigorously once or twice.
- Put a drop of essential oil clove on the counter and dip the floss thread into it – easy if using the small plastic bow devices, and then floss with the clove-enhanced twine and feel the product working—clove with kill that hidden non-native bacteria.
- Rinse a few more times with the oxidant brew above, and use your toothbrush to go over the teeth again. It is an excellent way to whiten and remove stains, and rinsing or brushing after flossing is critical to get the uprooted bacteria out and in the sink.
- Now, proudly smile 😊
Recommended Tools & Resources
Electrolyte Options without Carbohydrates
Re-Lyte® Hydration | Electrolyte Drink Mix | Redmond Life
Drink LMNT | Paleo-Keto Friendly Hydration | Zero Sugar Electrolytes – Drink LMNT, INC.
Hydrate Electrolyte Powder | Sugar-Free Electrolyte Drink | UCAN
My Favorite Aloe Vera Option(Gel formula whole leaf works nicely.)
Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel – Lily of the Desert
My Favorite Frother On the Market (but there are many.)
Amazon.com: Aerolatte Milk Frother To Go with Travel Storage Case, The Original Steam-Free Frother, Black: Electric Milk Frothers: Home & Kitchen
My Favorite Organic Collagen Powders – Unflavored
Unflavored Collagen Peptides Powder | Collagen Protein | Bulletproof
Powdered Green Tea – Matcha and Sencha – Sei Mee Tea
Aloe Vera and Mucosal Protection of Premalignant Conditions
Randomized trial of aloe vera gel vs triamcinolone acetonide ointment in the treatment of oral lichen planus – PubMed, (nih.gov),
Aloe Vera Trial for Post-Treatment Mucosal Fibrosis
Curcumin and Mucosal Protection
Clove Essential Oil and Oral Protection
Anticariogenic and cytotoxic activity of clove essential oil (Eugenia caryophyllata) against a large number of oral pathogens | Annals of Microbiology | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)
- Meakin Metabolic Care (MMC) Website
- Meakin Metabolic Care Service Plans
- MMC Chronic Disease Prevention Program – Metabolic Optimization Protocol (MOP)
- MMC Cancer Patient – Metabolic Optimization Protocol (C-MOP)
- Travis Christofferson MS: books and biography
- All Coach It Forward Blogs (including Questions From The Clinic)
- All Coach It Forward Questions From The Clinic (rationally researched for you)
- Heal Navigator (care partner) Oncology Nurse Navigators
- Helpful Resources for Cancer Patients MMC Tool Box – Meakin Metabolic Care